Vacancy: Associate Professor Globalisation and Transnationalism (Maastricht University)
Associate Professor Globalisation and Transnationalism
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences is seeking an Associate Professor with demonstrated excellence in research and teaching in the broad field of Globalisation and Transnationalism.
As a member of the Department of Society Studies (DSS) and the research program Globalisation, Transnationalism, and Development (GTD), you will join a vibrant community of critical social scientists. The Department of Society Studies, boasting around 40 members, combines knowledge and expertise in the interdisciplinary realms of Science, Technology and Society studies (STS) and Globalisation, Transnationalism, and Development research.
Within the GTD research program, we delve into three key areas: transnational migration; the exchange of transnational knowledge for development; and the intersection of natural resource extraction and global governance. If you are passionate about contributing to cutting-edge research and teaching in these areas (and in particular the third area), we invite you to apply.
- Contributing to research in the interdisciplinary research programme GTD
- Developing international research projects and attracting external funding
- Stimulating a dynamic research environment within the GTD and creating research opportunities for junior members of the group
- Teaching, developing and coordinating courses, supervising internships, projects and theses in our BA and MA programmes, such as the MA Globalisation and Development studies, the BSc Global Studies, and the BA European Studies.
- Fulfilling important administrative and leadership roles at our faculty
- Outstanding quality in research, a clear research profile, recognition in the field, a relevant international network and a strong track record in interdisciplinary research
- Publications of original work in highly regarded journals within the broad field of Globalisation, Transnationalism and Development, and monographs and edited volumes published with prestigious (university) presses
- A strong acquisition track-record of funding from national, European and other research funding agencies
- Evidence of successful supervision of PhD students
- Experience in and enthusiasm about teaching, with demonstrated abilities in thesis supervision, teaching coordination roles, course development and teaching international classrooms related to specific content areas as well as to academic/professional skills and/or methods
- Able to stimulate student learning and to maximize student participation in our system of small-scale Problem Based Learning (PBL)
- Strong managerial and leadership experience and qualities, a genuine coach and leader, as well as a team player
- Fluent in English, and if you don’t speak Dutch yet, you should be willing to learn it
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Good employment conditions. The position is graded in scale 13 according to UFO profile Universitair hoofddocent, with corresponding salary based on experience ranging from €6002,00 and €7305,00 gross per month (based on a full-time employment of 38 hours per week). In addition to the monthly salary, an 8.0% holiday allowance and an 8.3% year-end bonus apply.
- An employment contract for a period of 18 months with a scope of 0,8 – 1,0 FTE. Upon proven suitability, the employment contract will be converted to an indefinite contract.
- At Maastricht University, the well-being of our employees is of utmost importance, we offer flexible working hours and the possibility to work partly from home if the nature of your position allows it. You will receive a monthly commuting and internet allowance for this. If you work full-time, you will be entitled to 29 vacation days and 4 additional public holidays per year, namely carnival Monday, carnival Tuesday, Good Friday, and Liberation Day. If you choose to accumulate compensation hours, an additional 12 days will be added. Furthermore, you can personalize your employment conditions through a collective labor agreement (CAO) choice model.
- As Maastricht University, we offer various other excellent secondary employment conditions. These include a good pension scheme with the ABP and the opportunity for UM employees to participate in company fitness and make use of the extensive sports facilities that we also offer to our students.
- Last but certainly not least, we provide the space and facilities for your personal and professional development. We facilitate this by offering a wide range of training programs and supporting various well-established initiatives such as ‘acknowledge and appreciate’.
The terms of employment at Maastricht University are largely set out in the collective labor agreement of Dutch Universities. In addition, local provisions specific to UM apply. For more information, click here.
Are you interested in this exciting position but still have questions? Feel free to contact Prof.dr. Anique Hommels at email@example.com for more information.
Or are you already convinced and ready to become our new Associate Professor in Globalisation and Transnationalism? Apply now, no later than 29 January 2024 for this position. The first interviews preferably take place in the week of 4 March 2024. The second interviews will preferably be held two weeks later.
The vacancy is open for internal and external candidates. In case of equal qualifications, internal candidates will be prioritized.