Vacancy: Assistant Professor Political and Environmental Philosophy (Maastricht University)
Assistant Professor Political and Environmental Philosophy
Maastricht University’s philosophy department seeks a dynamic teacher and researcher in political philosophy, specializing in environmental and climate change issues.
The candidate will have a general grounding in philosophy and/or social and political theory. Areas of interest could include, but are not limited to, environmental political theory, political issues relating to climate change (e.g. sovereignty, resource distribution, migration), climate justice, political ecology, green political thought, rethinking nature and political subjects.
This position is one of several created by the Faculty to develop its capacity in teaching and research concerning environmental problems. You will work with colleagues across disciplines to develop new opportunities for both teaching and research. The Philosophy department emphasizes collaborative research engagement across its areas of strength in the philosophy of technology, the philosophy of culture, and political philosophy.
You will contribute to the teaching and coordination of courses and supervision of internships, projects and theses in the BA and MA programmes of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, particularly the BA European Studies.
You will join the Globalisation, Transnationalism and Development Research Programme (GTD) where will engage with colleagues across disciplines to develop collaborative research and contribute to the active research environment of the group. In this context, you should also endeavor to develop research collaborations at national and international research level and to attract external funding in your area of expertise.
This role entails:
- Team teaching and curriculum development at BA and MA level
- Collaborative academic research in the field of political philosophy and related areas
- Publication of your research in international peer-review journals
- Applying for external research funding
- Academic citizenship and assuming administrative roles to support teaching and research in the faculty.
- A PhD in Philosophy, Political or Social Theory and a research focus relating to the environment/climate. (scholars from other related areas are also welcome to apply, but should explain how their previous experience is relevant to the position)
- Experience teaching (experience in small group and international settings as well as course and curriculum development is a plus)
- An established or developing track-record of high quality international publications.
- A strong network of research collaborators
- Willingness to apply for research funding at national and European level. (previous experience with external research funding a plus)
- Openness to interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Fluency in English is a prerequisite (Cambridge English Proficiency, level C2, orally and written). Non-Dutch speaking applicants should be willing to learn Dutch (level B1 minimum).
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Good employment conditions. The position is graded in scale 11 according to UFO profile Universitair docent, with corresponding salary based on experience ranging from €4332,00 and €5929,00 gross per month (based on a full-time employment of 38 hours per week). In addition to the monthly salary, an 8.0% holiday allowance and an 8.3% year-end bonus apply.
- An employment contract for a period of 18 months with a scope of 1,0 FTE. Upon proven suitability, the employment contract will be converted to an indefinite contract.
- At Maastricht University, the well-being of our employees is of utmost importance, we offer flexible working hours and the possibility to work partly from home if the nature of your position allows it. You will receive a monthly commuting and internet allowance for this. If you work full-time, you will be entitled to 29 vacation days and 4 additional public holidays per year, namely carnival Monday, carnival Tuesday, Good Friday, and Liberation Day. If you choose to accumulate compensation hours, an additional 12 days will be added. Furthermore, you can personalize your employment conditions through a collective labor agreement (CAO) choice model.
- As Maastricht University, we offer various other excellent secondary employment conditions. These include a good pension scheme with the ABP and the opportunity for UM employees to participate in company fitness and make use of the extensive sports facilities that we also offer to our students.
- Last but certainly not least, we provide the space and facilities for your personal and professional development. We facilitate this by offering a wide range of training programs and supporting various well-established initiatives such as ‘rewards and recognition’.
The terms of employment at Maastricht University are largely set out in the collective labor agreement of Dutch Universities. In addition, local provisions specific to UM apply.
Are you interested in this exciting position but still have questions? Feel free to contact Darian Meacham via email@example.com for more information.
Or are you already convinced and ready to become our new Assistant Professor in Political Philosophy ? Apply now, no later than february 15th, for this position.
You are kindly invited to submit your application, which should consist of:
- A letter of motivation including a statement on research interests and plans and how these link to the research conducted within the research program Globalisation, Transnationalism and Development (GTD). A separate teaching and research statement can also be submitted if preferred.
- A full CV (including a complete list of publications with clear differentiation between peer-reviewed and non-peer-reviewed publications and an overview of teaching experience, funding acquisition, management experience, and outreach activities);
- Teaching evaluations (if available);
- A writing sample (preferably a published article or book chapter)
- The contact information of two referees (including e-mail, phone number, and relationship to the applicant)
An orientation day can be part of the application procedure.
The vacancy is open for internal and external candidates. In case of equal qualifications, internal candidates will be prioritized.
Other factors being equal, members of under-represented groups within the field of philosophy and the department will be given priority in selection.
For more information and to apply, please click here.