Vacancy: Postdoctoral researcher in project “Mapping Out African Migrants and their Descendents in Belgium”, Université catholique de Louvain
The Centre for Demographic Research of the Université catholique de Louvain (www.uclouvain.be/demo) is looking for a post-doctoral fellow to contribute to the MOAM-BE survey (Mapping Out African Migrants and their descendents in BElgium). He/she will work under the supervision of Marie-Laurence Flahaux and Bruno Schoumaker.
The MOAM-BE project (Mapping Out African Migrants and their descendents in BElgium) is funded by the King Baudouin Foundation and coordinated at the Université catholique de Louvain, in collaboration with researchers from the Université Libre de Bruxelles, the University of Ghent and the Institut de Recherche pour le Développement. Its aim is to contribute to a better understanding of the experiences of people from sub-Saharan Africa living in Belgium in various fields (administrative trajectories, health, discrimination, family, housing, etc.). Through a collaborative approach open to society, a quantitative survey will be carried out with the first and second generation.
The person recruited will benefit from a 12-month postdoctoral fellowship, with possible extension depending on the availability of funds and/or applications for external funding. He/she will be involved in the following activities:
1. Contribution to survey preparation
- Participation in the design, testing, translation and programming of the questionnaire and other collection tools
- Participation in the recruitment and training of interviewers (in French and English/Dutch).
2. Survey coordination and follow-up
- Monitoring interviewer relations and data collection
- Management of coordination and data collection tools (collaborative platform / wiki, mailing lists)
- Organization of meetings involving project partner teams
- Drafting of data collection reports
3. Data analysis and contribution to report writing
- Preparation of data analysis programs and data anonymization and documentation
- Coordination of thematic working groups on research reports
- Participation in the production of research reports on 2 themes
- Research experience on international and African migration in particular
- Ideally experience in conducting a quantitative survey, and good experience in quantitative data analysis
- High degree of autonomy and organization
- Ability to work in a team and in a multicultural context
- Good knowledge of Stata or other statistical analysis software
- Ability to publish in international scientific journals
- Good knowledge of French and English, and some Dutch if possible
- Start date: October-November 2023.
- The candidate must have obtained his/her doctoral thesis within the last three years, and must not have resided in Belgium for more than 12 months in the last three years.
- 12-month postdoctoral fellowship, with possible extension depending on availability of funds and/or applications for external funding.