Two assistant professors of sociology (Amsterdam)
What: The Department of Sociology, Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, UvA (Amsterdam) is looking for two assistant professors of sociology
Application deadline: 1 March 2020
- to contribute to the broad and diverse teaching and research profile of sociology in Amsterdam by educational initiatives and publishing and participating in national and international research networks;
- to develop and coordinate courses in the field of sociology and tailored to meet societal demand and the needs of students;
- to teach general, specialist and methodological courses in the BSc-, MSc, Research Master’s- and PhD-programs of our department, and supervising undergraduate and graduate students;
- to develop, carry out and supervise empirical sociological research at a high academic level, develop international leadership in this field, develop a line of research in collaboration with junior staff members and other researchers working at the programme groups in sociology and the wider Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research (AISSR);
- to acquire and help to acquire external funding for research (also alongside junior researchers);
- to engage in activities in the public sphere and in other arenas outside academia;
- to carry out administrative tasks.
- a PhD degree and preferably experience as a post-doc researcher or (junior) faculty member;
- a strong general knowledge of the field of sociology, including a clear track record in at least one of the sociological specializations: i) migration sociology, ii) urban sociology, iii) sociology of welfare states, iv) digital sociology, v) sociology of climate/sustainability, or vi) sociology of work, or a combination of these specialisations;
- a proven record of high-quality teaching, preferably at BSc-, MSc- and PhD-level. Alongside this we expect a strong commitment to teaching general and specialist courses in the BSc and MSc programs in Sociology and in the interdisciplinary Research Master Social Sciences;
- a strong track record in empirical social-scientific research in one or more of the specializations mentioned, thus concerning urgent societal problems, as exemplified in a strong publication record in internationally peer reviewed journals and/or books published by internationally recognized presses;
- the ability to acquire research funding from external sources (e.g. Netherlands’ Organization for Scientific Research, the European Research Council, or other research councils, European Union, or other national and international funding agencies);
- a thorough mastery of quantitative and/or qualitative research methods;
- a track record in administration and commitment to carry out administrative tasks;
- a proven commitment to public or policy sociology and/or engagement with non-academic actors;
- adequate knowledge of Dutch, or the willingness to develop a working proficiency in Dutch language within two years.
- in possession of the Dutch Basic Teaching Qualification or Senior Teaching Qualification (or foreign equivalents), or willing to acquire such a qualification on a fairly short term.
For more information, see: https://www.uva.nl/en/content/vacancies/2020/01/20-026-two-assistant-professors-of-sociology.html?1579877863655