Senior Researcher in the Area of Migrations
CIDOB opens a call to hire a senior researcher for its area of Migrations. He/she will participate in the research related to the intersection between migrations and European integration, being involved particularly in the research projects NIEM (I) and EU IDEA (II).
– Hold a PhD (or equivalent experience) in human or social sciences, specialization in migration studies and/or European integration.
– Track record of publishing research articles in high impact academic journals, think tank papers and other relevant forums.
– A high knowledge of English spoken and written. Fluency in Spanish. A good command of other languages would be an advantage.
– At least five years of research experience in the research field and in the analysis of European policies related to migration and asylum.
– Demonstrated capability in research methods.
– Ability to solve problems, analytical skills, ability to work both autonomously and with an international team.
– International mobility experience would be an asset.
– Research on immigration and asylum policies and its governance in the European framework.
– Participate as a senior researcher in the research project NIEM (survey and data analysis of the impact of the Common European Asylum System in the integration of asylum
seekers in Spain).
– Coordinate and implement the research work package focused on the Area of Freedom, Security and Justice (AFSJ, including asylum) of the project EU IDEA (H2020
programme), which studies the perspectives of differentiated integration in the EU.
– Produce academic articles, scientific reports and CIDOB publications for the general public. Participate in mass media channels to disseminate research results.
– Take the lead in planning and organizing activities and conferences.
– Participate in the activities and meetings of the research team and collaborate with other research areas at CIDOB.
– Participate in communication and dissemination activities of the Migrations area at CIDOB.
Conditions of employment
Contract period: full-time temporary contract ending on the 30th of September 2021, probationary period of six months.
Remuneration: 39.000 EUR annually gross, according to labor category stablished in the Collective Agreement of CIDOB.
Foreseen starting date: early September 2019 (there is flexibility to postpone the date in case of mutual agreement).
Please send a CV with a cover letter and a recent academic article (as a single author) to email@example.com indicating “Senior Researcher in the Area of Migrations” in the subject of the email.
Deadline for submitting the application: 7th July 2019.
The process is in line with the internal rules from the Barcelona Centre for International Affairs (CIDOB) on contracts and complies with the General Principles and Requirements of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for their Recruitment.
The evaluation of candidates will have two phases: 1) Preselection of candidates based on their CV, cover letter and submitted academic article. The five candidates who best fit in the position will be preselected. The selection criteria will value their studies and training, including formal and informal education, proven experience in research and high level of languages, credited internationally; 2) Interview stage. The Evaluation Committee will assess the specific competences and knowledge of candidates and their suitability to the research group and center. A score between 0 and 10 will be given to candidates, including strengths and weaknesses.
The Evaluation Committee is the body responsible for presenting a proposal of selection and shall be composed of three complementary profiles. The Committee will guarantee gender balance between its members. The body will be composed of:
– A management position
– A senior researcher in the field
– An area coordinator
The Evaluation Committee will nominate the person with a better score, after concluding a joint deliberation process. Based on the proposal, CIDOB Direction will award the temporal position to the best ranked candidate.
Candidates can use the complaint mechanism or ask for further information regarding the evaluation process during the next 10 days after the announcement of the results. To that end candidates should write an e-mail with their concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org
(I) The National Integration Evaluation Mechanism (NIEM) Project, cofunded by the Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund (AMIF), aims to measure and improve integration of beneficiaries of international protection. The final purpose is to prepare key actors in the integration field in 15 EU Member States to better face the current challenges and improve the integration outcomes of beneficiaries of international protection.
(II) The H2020 EU IDEA project considers how much and what form of differentiation is not only compatible with but also conducive to a more effective, cohesive and democratic EU. The findings of the analysis will be instrumental to defining the criteria – at institutional, policy and societal levels – to assess future scenarios of differentiation as a tool of Integration (or disintegration) and to develop policy recommendations for EU and national policy-makers with an aim to a more effective and accountable Union.