Vacancy: Research Associate with PhD (M/F) – Institute of Geography and Spatial Planning
The University of Luxembourg is looking for its Faculty of Language and Literature, Humanities, Arts and Education within the Research Unit IPSE for a
Research Associate with PhD (M/F) – Institute of Geography and Spatial Planning
- Ref : R-AGR-3294-10-C
- Fixed-term contract from 15.11.2017 until 31.10.2019 40 hours/week
- Employee status
Starting date: 15.11.2017
The overall objective of the contract is to support and contribute to the H2020 project CEASEVAL which deals with the evaluation of the common asylum system in Europe (CEAS).
The project is coordinated by the Technical University of Chemnitz. The University of Luxembourg is one out of 14 partner institutions.
The research associate will work on the H2020 research project CEASEVAL based in the Institute of Geography and Spatial Planning.
Under the supervision of Professor Birte Nienaber, he/she will:
- Identify current state of the art of conceptual and definitional issues within the EU asylum system;
- Conduct qualitative semi-structured and in-depth interviews in Luxembourg and France with key informants as well as with migrants to analyse: 1) the multilevel governance of refugees reception, and; 2) the mobility of migrants and the bordering regimes of asylum systems;
- Conduct ethnographic observation in institutions dealing with border regimes in Luxembourg;
- Analyse the harmonization tools of the CEAS with a focus on Luxembourg;
- Support the development of policy reform scenarios;
- Support the coordination of the H2020 project;
- Participate in consortium meetings;
- Pro-actively support the dissemination and communication strategies of the project;
- Publish academic articles in peer-reviewed journals.
For further information please contact:
Prof. Dr. Birte Nienaber
Tel: +352 466644-9318
- PhD (or equivalent) in Geography, Migration Studies, Sociology or any other related field;
- Extensive experience in conducting qualitative interviews;
- Extensive experience in conducting ethnographic observation;
- Knowledge of the field of refugee studies and/or border studies;
- Ability to establish contacts at national and international level;
- Ability to work independently and within an interdisciplinary team;
- Excellent capacities in the use of common computer software (Microsoft Office, especially Word, PowerPoint and Excel);
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English and excellent spoken skills in French;
- Communication skills in Arabic (spoken) would be an advantage.
As the candidate will have to work in a multilingual context, he/she must be fluent in English (written and spoken) and French (spoken). Knowledge of Arabic (spoken) as well as German or Luxembourgish will be considered as an advantage.
- The research associate with PhD will work in the international environment of the University of Luxembourg and will be member of the Institute of Geography and Spatial Planning.
- He/She will have the opportunity to work closely with migration and asylum experts in Europe.
- He/She will work with an international team on an ambitious European project.
Candidates should submit the following documents:
- Letter of motivation in English;
- Curriculum vitae in English
- Copies of diplomas.
Please apply online until 06th October 2017:
The University is an equal opportunity employer.