03/11/2022 – MIDEQ/UNU-CPR event on the implementation of the Global Compact Migration.”
MIDEQ and the UN University Centre for Policy Research (UNU-CPR) are hosting – “From promises to practice: towards the effective implementation of the Global Compact Migration.”
This hybrid event, on 3 November at 3:00 PM (GMT+2), will take place six months after the first International Migration Review Forum and ahead of the next round of Regional Reviews. It will discuss challenges that lie ahead to turn the Global Compact on Migration (GCM)’s promises into practice, and will focus on four cross-cutting principles underpinning the implementation process:
- The need to ensure effective respect, protection and fulfilment of the human rights of all migrants, regardless of their migration status, across all stages of the migration cycle;
- The commitment to eliminate all forms of discrimination, including racism, xenophobia and intolerance against migrants and their families;
- The importance a whole-of-government approach to ensure horizontal and vertical policy coherence across all sectors and levels of government; and
- The need for a whole-of-society approach to address migration in all its dimensions.
To register click here.
The event is organised in partnership with the Geneva Science-Policy Interface (GSPI).
Speakers will be drawn from government, international organisations, civil society and academia, and will reflect on the extent and ways in which implementation of the GCM can be enhanced through reference to these cross-cutting principles, and what more might be done to embed them in the policy and practice of Member States, the private sector, and the societies in which migrants live.
- Professor Heaven Crawley, UNU-CPR and MIDEQ Hub
- Professor Louis Herns Marcelin, INURED Haiti and University of Miami
- William Gois, Migrant Forum Asia and People’s Migration Challenge
- Ben Lewis, Office of the High Commission for Human Rights (OHCHR)
- Laurel Townhead, Quaker United Nations Office (QUNO)
- Jonathan Prentice, Secretariat, UN Network on Migration
- UN Special Rapporteur on Contemporary Forms of Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance (tbc).
For more information click here.