PhD position – International Migration and Ethnic Relations (187782) | University of Bergen
About the project/work tasks:
Migration is a prioritized area of research at the University of Bergen and is organised as one of the pillars of the strategic initiative on research into global challenges. At the Faculty of Social Sciences, migration research takes place at all departments and centres, and the research unit on International Migration and Ethnic Relations (IMER) has served as the core cross-disciplinary platform for studies and research on this topic for over two decades. The aim of IMER Bergen is to contribute to research-based knowledge about international migration, including on the interplay between politics and mobilities, and migration and inequalities
The applicant is invited to write a research proposal on a topic relevant to the research at IMER. The successful applicant is given 3 full years to focus on the completion of a Ph.D. dissertation based on this proposal. In addition, the position includes 1 year of funded duty work to organize activities at IMER. These activities include:
- Arranging IMER seminars.
- Assist the organization of conferences.
- Give lectures on research courses.
- Take part in developing project applications on migration.
- Contribute to the publication of a monthly newsletter.
- Running IMER homepage and facebooksite
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Master’s degree in social sciences, relevant to the research at IMER and must meet the educational requirements for admission to the Phd programme at the Faculty of Social Sciences . The thesis must be submitted by the application deadline.
- The requirements are generally a grade B or better on the master thesis and for the Master’s degree in total
- Experience with publishing, teaching or organizing events is appreciated.
- Applicants with a background from migration research are prioritized, but a well-written research proposal can demonstrate sufficient knowledge with the topic.
- As an applicant you should be able to work independently and have the ability to cooperate with others
- Proficiency in both written and oral English is a requirement.
About the PhD position:
The duration of the PhD position is 4 years, of which 25 per cent of the time comprises obligatory duties. The employment period for the successful candidate may be reduced if he or she previously has been employed in a PhD position.
About the PhD training:
As a PhD research fellow, you will take part in the PhD programme at the Faculty of Social Sciences, UiB. The programme corresponds to a period of three years and leads to the PhD degree. To be eligible for admission you must normally have an educational background corresponding to a master’s degree with a scope of 120 ECTS credits, which builds on a bachelor’s degree with a scope of 180 ECTS credits (normally 2 + 3 years), or an integrated master’s degree with a scope of 300 ECTS credits (5 years). Master’s degrees must normally include an independent work of a minimum of 30 ECTS credits. It is expected that the topic of the master’s degree is connected to the academic field to which you are seeking admission.
For more information, see: https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/187782/phd-position-international-migration-and-ethnic-relations?fbclid=IwAR2f57YYn4Ak_TiQWGk_G_hYBahhfZ7dKBEqaNXPTqtBCB_x7iBgJxHmN4c
Deadline for application: 9 August 2020.