Vacancy: Research Officer – Mixed Migration Centre Asia
The Mixed Migration Centre (MMC) is a global network consisting of seven regional hubs (Asia, East Africa, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, Middle East, North Africa, West Africa) and a central unit in Geneva. MMC is a leading source for independent and high-quality data, research, analysis and expertise on mixed migration. MMC aims to increase understanding of mixed migration, to positively impact global and regional migration policies, to inform evidence-based protection responses for people on the move and to stimulate forward thinking in public and policy debates on mixed migration. MMC’s overarching focus is on human rights and protection for all people on the move. The three overall objectives of MMC are:
- To contribute to a better, more nuanced and balanced understanding of mixed migration (knowledge)
- To contribute to evidence-based and better informed migration policies and debates (policy)
- To contribute to effective evidence-based protection responses for people on the move (practice)
MMC is part of, and governed by DRC. MMC regional hubs are hosted within DRC regional offices, but part of the global MMC network. While its institutional link to DRC ensures MMC’s work is grounded in operational reality, it acts as an independent source of data, research, analysis and policy development on mixed migration for policy makers, practitioners, journalists, and the broader humanitarian sector. The position of MMC does not necessarily reflect the position of DRC. For more information on MMC visit their website (http://www.mixedmigration.org/).
Overall purpose of the role:
The Research Officer is responsible for the management and coordination of internal and external research work and projects across MMC Asia. The job holder will generate ideas for and conduct quantitative and qualitative research projects both directly and through engaging external researchers. They will analyze data and other materials and author issue briefs, papers, or other publications relevant to MMC’s priorities.
Research and information dissemination
- Conduct research on mixed migration in Asia, producing briefs, reports, articles, opinion pieces, and other relevant publications, on issues including but not limited to asylum, irregular movement, forced displacement by conflict and climate change, labor migration, and trafficking in the region.
- Assist the design of relevant research, including working closely with external consultants/teams to deliver results according to agreed Terms of Reference.
- Support the analysis and interpretation of data for use in infographics, website presentation, and text analysis, in collaboration with the 4Mi Coordinator, Information Management Officer, and 4Mi Project Officer.
- In tandem with the DRC and MMC Communications Officers, develop and implement a multi-method communication plan to disseminate research findings and knowledge, including meetings and presentations with relevant stakeholders, participating in regional and global conferences, and conducting briefings with partners within DRC.
- Keep abreast of new developments and ongoing debates on mixed migration in Asia.
Programme and Project coordination
- Closely monitor the implementation of research planning and evaluation. The position is part of relevant governance bodies (Steering Committee, Technical Working Group), reviewing the quality of deliverables.
- Exercise oversight of external consultants/teams to ensure quality research.
- Under the supervision of the Regional MMC Manager, work closely with MMC’s partners to implement the project workplan and team workplan.
- Coordinate with MMC headquarters and partners in all stages of the research cycle, including formulation of research concept, review, sign-off, communication, and dissemination of results.
Strategy development and stakeholder engagement
- Identify gaps in knowledge on mixed migration issues in the region and work with the Regional MMC Manager to address the gaps.
- Under the supervision of the Regional MMC Manager, identify strategic research focus for MMC Asia by supporting the development of MMC-Asia’s Annual Strategic Plan and engaging with key regional stakeholders.
- Identify partners, key informants, contacts, and others essential to the success of MMC Asia research activities.
- Maintain relationships with key regional stakeholders for further engagement, including funding cooperation, and support the development of proposals as needed.
- Lead the organization of workshops, conferences, training, and other events as needed.
Experience and technical competencies
- Experience conducting quantitative and qualitative research and analysis. Research experience in migration-related issues, including forced displacement, conflict and climate-induced migration, labor migration, returnees, and human trafficking, is an asset.
- Proven record of producing high-quality publications in English. Publications in peer review are an asset.
- Knowledge of mixed migration in Asia with previous experience working in the region is essential.
- Experience in project management (project writing, log frame, MEAL).
- Experience in coordinating meetings and conferences.
For more information about the role click here.