Vacancy: Research Fellow Osnabrück University’s Institute for Migration Research and Intercultural Studies (IMIS)
Osnabrück University looking for a research fellow to head the Junior Research Group “The Production of Knowledge about Migration”, sponsored by the Volkswagen Foundation funding initiative “Niedersächsisches Vorab”. The position is to be filled as soon as possible for a period of 3 years.
Established in 2019, this junior research group investigates the conditions and consequences of the scholarly production of knowledge about migration. The focus of their work is on the practices of production and circulation of knowledge about the spatial movement of people. These practices are investigated at the intersections of science and politics, administration and the public. The junior research group aims to contribute to a deeper understanding of social processes of self-understanding and practices in dealing with migration, diversity and difference, and to develop reflexive perspectives for migration research in the social and cultural sciences.
- Leadership and coordination of the junior research group “The Production of Knowledge about Migration”, which will consist of three further research fellows (postdocs)
- Further development of innovative individual projects for the junior research group
- Development and realization of one’s own larger individual project
- Contributing to the development of a methodology of reflexive migration research
- Further development and coordination of the group’s joint publication projects
- Cooperation with participating researchers at IMIS from the disciplines of Geography, History, Law and Sociology regarding concepts and content
- Candidates are required to hold a university degree with very good marks in the Social or Cultural Sciences or the Humanities, as well as an above-average doctoral degree
- Candidates must have a very good knowledge of migration research, including its theories and empirical methods, and proven experience with international migration research, documented by top-ranking publications
- In addition, excellent English and German language skills are required
- Experience in leading scholarly projects
- Experience in interdisciplinary research
- Experience in project development
- Excellent communication skills
- An interdisciplinary work environment at a nationally and internationally established, highly connected and diversity conscious research centre
- The ability to supervise and lead a group of junior researchers
- The opportunity to further develop, discuss and implement innovative research ideas and perspectives
The position is available on a full-time or part-time basis.
Osnabrück University is a family-friendly university and is committed to helping working/studying parents balance their family and work lives.
Osnabrück University seeks to guarantee equality of opportunity for women and men and strives to correct any gender imbalance in its schools and departments.
If two candidates are equally qualified, preference will be given to the candidate with disability status.
Applications with the usual documents (CV, list of publications, list of courses taught, academic certificates) as well as a comprehensive conceptual design of the topic area “The Production of Knowledge about Migration” and for the organization of the group work (max. 15,000 characters) should be submitted electronically (in a single PDF no larger than 5MB) to email@example.com no later than NOVEMBER 14, 2021. We look forward to receiving your application.
For further information, please contact IMIS Director Prof. Dr. Helen Schwenken (she/her): firstname.lastname@example.org