Vacancy: Postdoctoral research fellow at WZB
The WZB Berlin Social Science Centre is offering a position of a
Postdoctoral research fellow.
The position will be within the interdisciplinary research unit Migration, Integration, Transnationalization (MIT), headed by Prof. Ruud Koopmans. The unit’s current research focuses primarily on integration issues, studied from sociological, political science and social-psychological perspectives.
The position is full-time (currently 39 weekly hours), the contract will be initially for the duration of three years with the possibility of renewal for three more years. Starting date is flexible but not later than September 2018. Depending on the qualifications and experience of the candidate, an initial contract duration of more than three years may be possible.
The researcher will conduct independent research, contribute to the research program of the research unit, and publish in international peer-reviewed journals. We are looking for a candidate who can strengthen our profile regarding questions pertaining to the understanding of migration streams. This includes, e.g., factors that drive migration and potentially return migration between countries; why people select to migrate to a particular receiving country as opposed to another; what kinds of policies – national, European, and global – regulate migration streams successfully; and the relationship between development and migration.
In addition to their primary research tasks, the WZB offers its researchers the possibility to teach courses at universities in Berlin or elsewhere, and to participate in various international exchange programs that the WZB is involved in. The research of WZB fellows is supported by research assistants, travel funding, access to small and medium-scale research funds, opportunities to invite external collaborators and speakers, and a high-end methods seminar.
- Ph.D. degree with excellent results (obtained already or soon to be completed)
- We are primarily seeking economists, demographers and political scientists but are also open to scholars from other disciplines who study these questions using a rigorous empirical approach
- Experience with primary data collection using large-sample surveys, experimental or comparative designs (with an emphasis on causal inference)
- Articles in recognized peer-reviewed journals, either published or, in case of a very recently completed Ph.D., in an advanced stage of preparation
- Excellent English writing and communication skills
- Knowledge of German is welcome but not required
- Candidates should submit a synopsis (2-3 pages) of the research they would like to conduct if they were to get the position.
Salary: Group EG 14 TVöD (in accordance with German public service collective agreement)
Equally well qualified disabled applicants will be given preference. The WZB expressly invites women and people with an immigrant background to apply.
Please submit your application by 17 November 2017. Applications should include a motivation letter, CV and research synopsis (max. 3 pages) and should be sent electronically in pdf-format (not more than two separate pdf-files) to
Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung (WZB)
Dr. Maike Burda