Vacancy: Associate or Senior Editor, Social Sciences
Join the editorial team at Science! They are currently seeking a full time Associate or Senior editor to work either in our Washington, DC, USA, Cambridge, UK office, or remotely in the US or UK.
They are looking for someone with a strong research background in the social sciences (to at least postgraduate level). They prioritize publishing papers that are at the intersection of social science and natural science and have implications for sustainability or human health and well-being. Specifically, they are most interested in research that explores interactions between social and natural systems, with the goal of meeting human needs, increasing global equity, and protecting the environment. Therefore, they are particularly interested in candidates with a broad knowledge of the social sciences, including expertise in a range of theoretical perspectives and quantitative methods. They seek applicants who are scientifically rigorous and able to critically evaluate scientific work, have a great love of science and interest in communicating it to the public, and an excellent ability to network with the research community.
Candidates are expected to travel internationally to scientific meetings and institutions, and to interact extensively with the scientific community in order to encourage excellent manuscripts to come to Science. Responsibilities include managing the selection, review, and editing of research manuscripts, working with authors on revisions, soliciting review articles and special issues, and fostering contacts and communication with the scientific community.
Are you ready to be a Force for Science?
What You’ll Do
- Manage the evaluation, review, and editing of submitted research manuscripts in the social sciences.
- Judge the scientific value of research and select reviewers for submitted manuscripts
- Discuss and make recommendations regarding manuscripts and reviewer comments with the editorial team, members of the Board of Reviewing Editors, and the authors
- Write short summaries of research papers for publication
- Help to curate the published literature for the benefit of readers
- Guide authors on manuscript revisions and edit the manuscripts for scientific content and style
- Follow manuscripts through the production process to ensure material is published in a timely manner
- Commission and edit Reviews and Focus articles on a broad range of topics
- Foster relationships and communication with the scientific community through meetings, lab visits, and professional contacts
- Represent Science at scientific meetings nationally and internationally
- A Ph.D. in a relevant social science discipline, research experience and multiple publications
- Comprehensive knowledge of scientific research methods in order to discuss technical issues with authors.
- Outreach skills to be effective at acquiring excellent papers.
- Exceptional written, communication, and listening skills in order to communicate with authors and reviewers in evaluating, editing and modifying manuscripts.
- Ability to work constructively as a member of a tight-knit team.
- Editorial experience not required, but preferred (at the Senior Editor level, 5 years of experience selecting/editing research is required).
Submit a resume and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by January 14, 2022. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A Recruiter will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.
Science have offices in Washington, DC and Cambridge, UK but are open to remote workers in select states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where AAAS has a business presence, you may not be eligible for this position. Please contact our Talent Team at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding your eligibility.
The anticipated initial rate of compensation for this position is $80,000 per year (for candidates hired in the US at the Associate Editor level). AAAS currently provides the following benefits for this position: paid vacation leave, paid sick leave, paid holidays, health insurance, flexible spending account, dental insurance, life insurance, vision insurance, retirement benefits, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance, each subject to the terms of the applicable program. Additional benefits may apply.
Any actual offer of employment, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be made in the sole discretion of AAAS and will be based on a variety of factors, including years of experience, depth of experience, and other relevant factors. AAAS reserves the right to amend or modify its employment benefits and compensation structure at any time.
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.