Vacancy: Assistant Professor of Sociology on Questions of Migration or Islam
Assistant Professor of Sociology on Questions of Migration or Islam (0.8 FTE)
Faculty of Social Sciences
Maximum salary: € 4,691 gross/month
Vacancy number: 24.07.17
Application deadline: 3 April 2017
The department of Sociology has a vacancy for an Assistant Professor in (political) sociology, preferably on the problem of cohesion around questions of Migration and/or Islam. The research on the topic will be developed independently as well as in collaboration with experts from the department.
As a lecturer you will contribute to the educational programme of Sociology, which recently has been evaluated as ‘excellent’. You will take part in lecturing and coordination tasks in the courses ‘Societal Prejudice’, ‘Life-course Research in Perspective’ and ‘Radicalization’. You will also be expected to supervise Master’s theses.
The Faculty of Social Sciences is one of the largest faculties at Radboud University. The faculty’s ambition is to become one of the top social science institutes in Europe, providing high-quality research and study programmes that rank among the best in the Netherlands.
The School of Socio-Cultural Sciences, which has about one thousand students, offers the study programmes of Communication Science, Anthropology and Development Studies, and Sociology. The Institute for Gender Studies, set up in cooperation with five other faculties, offers a broad study programme on women’s studies and gender. You will be appointed at the Sociology section of Radboud University. The Sociology section provides an independent BA/MA degree in the Faculty of Social Sciences.
What we expect from you
- you hold a PhD degree in sociology or a related discipline (or will obtain your PhD in due time, meaning that the date is known);
- you are experienced in lecturing at universities, preferably at different levels of Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes, also evidenced by student evaluations;
- you hold a teaching qualification or are willing to obtain such a qualification as soon as possible after your appointment;
- you are experienced in applying advanced social science methods. It is an advantage to have knowledge on both quantitative and qualitative research methods;
- you have an international publication record;
- you are capable of writing research proposals to apply for funding.
What we have to offer
- employment: 0.8 FTE;
- a maximum gross monthly salary of € 4,691 based on a 38-hour working week (salary scale 11);
- in addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- the salary depends on qualifications and experience;
- duration of the fixed-term contract is 3.5 years with a trial period of two months;
- you will be classified as an Assistant Professor, Level 2 (Universitair docent, niveau 2) in the Dutch university job-ranking system (UFO).