Senior lecturer in Global Political Studies with focus on International Migration and Ethnic Relation (Malmö universitet, Sweden)
Malmö University is an innovative, urban and international institute of higher education, located in the centre of Malmö. We have around 1,800 employees and 24,000 students. Our research and education are characterised by the role we believe a university should play in an open society — to contribute to sustainability and equality in a scientifically grounded way with external partners and stakeholders. Identifying and addressing the challenges of the future are of highest priority. Our researchers and students work collaboratively to create, share and spread knowledge in order to understand, explain and develop society — both locally and globally.
The Faculty of Culture and Society
The Faculty of Culture and Society is a multidisciplinary faculty that includes the School of Arts and Communication, the Department of Global Political Studies and the Department of Urban Studies. Read more here.
Department of Global Political Studies
The Department of Global Political Studies is a multidisciplinary research and educational environment with Bachelor programs in European Studies, Peace and Conflict Studies, International Migration and Ethnic Relations (IMER), Diversity Studies, International Relations, Human Rights, and Political Science. There are two Masters programs in IMER and Global Politics as well as two Ph.D. programmes in the same subjects. The Department’s educational programmes and research focus on global processes of change and their impact on societies and individuals. Our research environment also includes MIM (Malmö Institute for Studies of Migration, Diversity and Welfare) and the research platforms RUCARR (Russia and the Caucasus Regional Research) and REDEM (Rethinking Democracy).
Malmö Institute for Studies of Migration, Diversity and Welfare (MIM)
MIM was established in 2007 and is an international research centre with a multidisciplinary profile and a strong international presence in the research field of migration. Within the center and its extensive network, researchers develop, explore and exchange knowledge of international migration and ethnic diversity. Currently MIM includes about 40 researches, including IMER PhD, working at the Department of Global Political studies. Read more here.
Content and work responsibilities
As senior lecturer with a focus on IMER you will primarily teach on the bachelor and master programmes and possibly also the Ph.D. programme in IMER, but may also teach on other programmes at GPS. Our programmes are multidisciplinary and combine theory and knowledge from historical, economic, political, social and other perspectives.
The position as senior lecturer also includes research that you plan and carry out individually or in collaboration with others. Most of the teachers at IMER are affiliated with MIM, a strong international research milieu that hosts and partners international research projects, organizes international conferences and collaborates in international research networks. As senior lecturer in IMER you are encouraged to be part of this milieu and other research environments and endeavors at the department, university and beyond.
The position as senior lecturer also includes some administrative responsibilities at the department, and participation in departmental activities and development work of various kinds.
Those qualified for appointment as a senior lecturer are, except in disciplines in the fine, applied or performing arts, a person who has demonstrated teaching expertise and been awarded a PhD or has the corresponding research competence or some other professional expertise that is of value in view of the subject matter of the post and the duties that it will involve (Chapter 4, Section 4 of the Higher Education Ordinance).
A university teacher at Malmö university is expected to have a pedagogical higher education comprising at least 15 higher education credits, or equivalent formalized higher pedagogical education. New employees who do not have this training are required, within the framework of their employment, to begin such training within one year from the start of the employment.
In order to qualify for this specific position, the applicant must have:
- A PhD in the subject of International Migration and Ethnic Relations or in another relevant social science and humanities subject (such as Sociology, Economics, Economic-history, History, Anthropology, Political Science, Geography, Social psychology, etc.) in the field of international migration and ethnic diversity
- Experience of teaching and carrying out research in the field of International Migration and Ethnic Relations (IMER)
- Good ability to teach in English
- Good ability to co-operate with others
The following are meritorious for the position:
- Experience of teaching and carrying out research in a multidisciplinary environment
- Knowledge/expertise of migration from a global macro perspective
- Knowledge of the international law aspects of migration
- Competence in quantitative method
- Good administrative ability and experience of working organizationally and strategically with educational and research development such as program and course responsibilities, and research coordination
- Basic Swedish language skills
All invoked qualifications and skills must be accompanied with supportive documentation.
The assessment criteria for appointment as senior lecturer shall be the degree of expertise required as qualification for employment. Pedagogical/teaching and scientific/research qualifications and merits carry equal weight in the assessment. Each higher education institution determines itself what assessment criteria are otherwise to apply to the appointment of a senior lecturer. (Chapter 4, Section 4 of the Higher Education Ordinance)
A senior lecturer must demonstrate:
- Documented competence in their field
- Documented ability to communicate and collaborate with actors in other parts of society with a clear connection to education and research
Teaching expertise relates to:
- Documented ability to carry out and lead education using various teaching methods within higher education
- Documented experience in pedagogical development work and a reflective presentation of their own pedagogical outlook and practices
- Documented ability to link research and education with regards to both content and teaching
Scientific proficiency relates to:
- Documented ability to independently conduct research of a high quality
- Research within fields relevant to the appointment in question
- Active participation in the scientific community
For more information see: http://web103.reachmee.com/ext/I005/1015/job?site=6&lang=SE&validator=df9f5539db53eab37b3e3087d2a2669b&job_id=1378
Deadline for application: 24 May 2020.