Job vacancy: Project officer for two ERC-funded projects at Maastricht Centre for Citizenship, Migration and Development
Project officer for two ERC-funded projects at Maastricht Centre for Citizenship, Migration and Development
|Location||Maastricht University, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Grote Gracht 90-92, 6211 SZ Maastricht|
|Function types||Policy and staff positions|
|Scientific fields||Behaviour and Society, Language and Culture|
|Hours||30.4 hours per week|
|Salary||€ 2672 – € 3671|
|About employer||Maastricht University (UM)|
Deadline for applications: 12 October 2016
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASoS) is seeking to appoint a project officer who will provide support on the general management, administrative reporting and general logistics of two new research projects, ‘Migrant Life Course and Legal Status Transition’ (MiLifeStatus) and ‘Mobility trajectories of young lives: Life chances of transnational youths in Global South and North’ (MO-TRAYL), funded by grants from the European Research Council (ERC). The project officer will join our team at the policy department (BBS) and collaborate with our scientific staff towards successful support of the aforementioned projects.
You are an enthusiastic generalist who advises and supports the scientific staff and you have demonstrable experience and/or expertise in project support.
You have relevant experience in project management in an international context. Work experience in an academic environment is preferred.
You generally have strong social skills and are a true team player. You are able to think along with colleagues and to clearly contribute to projects in a creative way. You know to balance between a flexible and ‘think along’ role on the one hand and a guiding and persuasive role on the other.
You have a lifelong learning attitude and are motivated to continue to develop personally and professionally.
An excellent and fluent proficiency in English – written as well as oral – is an important requirement.
If you recognise yourself in this job description, please do not hesitate to apply (more information: below).
Conditions of employment
We offer a dynamic and challenging job in an internationally-oriented organization where young people receive an advanced education and scholars conduct exciting research.
This position will offer you the opportunity to collaborate with a variety of interesting people ranging from highly educated professionals to students. In terms of our organization, you are a member of the policy cluster of our faculty office.
We offer a 0.80 fte appointment as Project Leader for 1 year. In case of good performance and equal prospects for the faculty, extension of the employment is a possibility.
Remuneration will be according to standard salary levels, depending on education and relevant work experience, in salary scale 9 (€ 2.672,- – € 3.671,- gross per month, based on a fulltime appointment) according to the collective labour agreement (CAO) of Dutch Universities, including 8% holiday pay and an 8,3% end of year payment.
The conditions of employment are excellent. Within the framework of the university job structure (UFO), the position is ranked in the category “Project leader”, level 2.
Contract type: Temporary, 1 year
Maastricht University is renowned for its unique, innovative, problem-based learning system, which is characterized by a small-scale and student-oriented approach. Research at UM is characterized by a multidisciplinary and thematic approach, and is concentrated in research institutes and schools. Maastricht University has around 16,000 students and 4,000 employees. Reflecting the university’s strong international profile, a fair amount of both students and staff are from abroad. The university hosts 6 faculties: Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Faculty of Law, School of Business and Economics, Faculty of Humanities and Sciences, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience.
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASoS) has a staff of about 250, and over 1,800 students. All programmes are offered in English. Students come from all over the world. FASoS offers two 3-year Bachelor programmes: Arts and Culture, and European Studies, six different 1-year Master programmes and two 2-year research Master programmes. Its Graduate School takes in around 10 PhD students each year. Research is organised around four programmes: Politics and Culture in Europe; Maastricht University Science, Technology and Society Studies; Arts, Media and Culture; and Globalisation, Transnationalism and Development. The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences is housed in several recently renovated 18th-century buildings in the historic city centre of Maastricht.
General tasks which apply to all projects
- Administrative support with the general management and reporting of finance of each project, in consultation with financial administration at FASoS and the ERC project officer.
- Logistic support with organization of conferences (kick-off, mid-term, final) and smaller seminars and workshops during the projects.
- Responsibility for web management (setting up and maintaining a website) and editing, formatting and publication of project-related deliverables (newsletters, research notes, working papers, blogs, vlogs etc).
- Support with the implementation of data management in light of ‘UM Research Data Management Code of Conduct’, including liaising (if needed) with Ethics Review Board at the ERC.
Project specific tasks
- Support with setting up secondary school surveys in Belgium, The Netherlands, and Germany. This includes logistic support; communication with secondary schools and survey participants; designing and keeping updated the participant portal of our project website.
- Designing user-friendly visualizations of our project results and interactive fora for secondary school students throughout the project to be used in website, briefs and blogs.
- Helping with the design and implementation of the creative writing workshops and the organization of the resulting edited book, including relations with book publisher; formatting, design and layout of manuscript.
- Support with conclusion and administration of data agreements with data-granting institutions (national statistical offices in Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden; other data-granting institutions in Germany, Canada, United States).
- Logistic support with the organization of extended research stays of the PhD and Postdoc researchers at the data-granting institutions and associated academic host institutions in Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Canada, United States.
Starting date: 1 January 2017
Further information on the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciencesis available on our website:
Any inquiries about the position may be addressed to Sylvia Haerkens, cluster coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maastricht University’s Terms of Employment are laid down in the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO). Furthermore, local university provisions apply as well. For more information please see the website:> Support > Employees.