Postdoctoral position in ERC funded project on Migration and Democratic Diffusion (Barcelona)
We invite applications for a postdoctoral position in the context of the ERC Consolidator project Migration and Democratic Diffusion: the Impact of Migration on Democratic Practices and Processes in Countries of Origin (MIGRADEMO), led by Eva Østergaard-Nielsen in the Department of Political Science at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona.
Application deadline: 21/1/2020
The postdoctoral researcher will be part of a team researching the impact of migration on democratic participation and processes in countries of origin. The research strategy of the MIGRADEMO project combines analysis of processes of democratic diffusion across three countries of origin and at three levels of democratic participation and processes: individual citizens, civil society and among political leaders and representatives. The case studies are Turkey, Morocco, and Romania. The project will analyse already existing aggregate data on remittances and political behaviour and, importantly, generate new comprehensive datasets based on both surveys and in-depth qualitative research among non-migrants and returnees in countries of origin, civil society leaders and the political elite. The project will contribute to our understanding of the conditions under which migration can influence democratic processes as well as the broader research fields of democracy, migration, and citizenship.
The project will be carried out until 2023 by an interdisciplinary team of the PI, 3 postdocs and 1 PhD student. Candidates interested in applying for externally funded postdoctoral positions related to any aspect of the research agenda on migration and democracy are welcome to contact the PI. Expressions of interest in the upcoming calls for the Juan de la Cierva and Ramon y Cajal postdocs are welcome until 3/1 2020 (12.00 pm CET) .
The selected postdocs will, in close collaboration with the PI and the rest of the team, be an important part of both the implementation and dissemination of the project. The main tasks will be to:
- Contribute to the development of the methodological and theoretical research tasks, data collection and analysis, in particular, to help design and oversee the implementation of household surveys in countries of migrant origin. Some traveling/fieldwork can be expected.
- Present and publish top-level joint publications within the project research objectives.
- Participate in the scientific training of/support to PhD candidates.
- Help organize and participate in seminars and conferences organized around the ERC project.
- Contribute to the drafting of MIGRADEMO research reports and briefings and other types of dissemination activities.
- Assist in research-related administrative tasks.
Profile of candidates
- A PhD in Political Science or other related and relevant field.
- Excellent analytical and methodological skills, advanced training in social science methodology, in particular, statistical studies and survey methodology.
- Experience with data collection and analysis using large sample surveys and comparative research designs.
- An excellent publication record relative to career stage.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Ability and commitment to work both independently and collaboratively as part of an interdisciplinary and international team.
Further valuable qualifications include experience with field research especially in non-EU countries, experience with mixed methods research and experimental research design, experience with and publications related to studies of migration and democratization, fluency in French and/or other language skills relevant to the case studies and excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Catalan and/or Spanish are not a requirement.
For more information, see: https://migrademo.eu/?page_id=1159