Policy Advisor Migration/Refugee Protection – Oxfam Novib, The Hague
Oxfam Novib is a world-wide development organization that mobilizes the power of people against poverty.
Oxfam Novib is looking for a
POLICY ADVISOR MIGRATION/REFUGEE PROTECTION
32 hours a week
1 year contract with the possibility for renewal subject to funding
Based in The Hague
Purpose of the function
Oxfam Novib is gravely concerned by the plight of refugees and migrants seeking to reach Europe in search of protection and better lives, and by their living conditions after arrival. To address this European refugee/migration crisis, Oxfam Novib believes that a holistic response is needed by Dutch/European policy-makers that addresses both immediate protection but also root causes in countries of origin. Such a response must be based on the fundamental principles of humanity and respect for human rights, and needs to address the wider challenges facing the Netherlands’/Europe’s migration regime. Oxfam Novib is hiring a policy advisor to play a critical role in building up Oxfam Novib’s advocacy and influencing work in the area of migration/refugee protection, a new area of work for the organisation.
Objectives of the position
To lead the development of the Oxfam Novib campaign and advocacy strategy on the European refugee/migration crisis, and implement the lobby and advocacy sections of the strategy. This work will be carried out together with the campaigner, intern and project lead of the Oxfam Novib project team, and in coordination with Oxfam International colleagues across Europe. To contribute to the development and implementation of Oxfam International’s strategy on the European migration/refugee crisis Provide technical expertise to project team and Oxfam International on refugee and migration issues, Establish, maintain and build up network/coalition with relevant actors in the Netherlands.
- Lead on the development and implementation of Oxfam Novib’s strategy with regard to the European migration/refugee crisis, together with the project team;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Oxfam International’s strategy on the European migration/refugee crisis;
- Lead on the development and implementation of a fundraising strategy for migration/refugee work. Contribute to institutional fundraising efforts;
- Establish, maintain and build up network/coalition with relevant actors in the Netherlands on these issues;
- Participate in and actively contribute to relevant Oxfam Rights in Crisis Campaign task forces and country teams;
- Provide external representation for Oxfam Novib in relevant external for a, including towards government(s), the private sector, the (Dutch) public and the (Dutch) media.
- Have a master’s or bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, preferably on migration/refugee issues, international relations, political science or development studies;
- Demonstrated policy/influencing experience on migration/refugee issues;
- Excellent understanding of and experience in influencing and campaigning in the Netherlands;
- In possession of existing network in the Netherlands, and experience and affinity with coalition building/networking;
- Successful experience with (institutional) fundraising;
- Excellent analytical skills and demonstrable ability to think strategically and innovatively with regard to influencing;
- Are an excellent pro-active innovator and connector;
- Have a result oriented approach;
- Have excellent written & spoken Dutch and English skills and ideally also French; overall good communication skills and sensitivity to diversity;
- Are able and willing to travel regularly.
What we offer
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing a competitive, fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. The salary range for this position is set in scale 9 with a salary range between € 2.639,– to € 4.061,– on the basis of a 36 hour working week.
Applicants for this contract must be Dutch nationals or a European Union member State or have a valid work permit for the European Union.
More information and application procedure
Are you interested in this position? Send your application in English or Dutch in writing, including a motivation letter and curriculum vitae and mentioning reference number 5-299 to firstname.lastname@example.org, to the attention of Hans van Steen, HR Advisor, no later than August 16, 2015. For further information about this position you can contact Suying Lai email@example.com..nl.