Opportunity in IOM Regional Office: ROBKK-CFA 2020-090 -Data Analysis and Statistical Officer, Bangkok,Thailand
IOM’s Regional Office for Asia-Pacific (ROAP) and its partners use, produce, and monitor migration-related data for planning, policy-making and operational purposes. The Asia-Pacific Regional Data Hub aspires to reference a comprehensive set of such data, including information on migration trends, stocks and flows in the Asia-Pacific region. The regional data hub aims to support evidence-based strategic and policy level discussion on migration through a combined set of initiatives including strengthening of regional primary and secondary data collection and analysis; increasing Information management capacity across countries; providing technical support to ensure harmonization and interoperability of key methodologies and tools used to monitor population mobility; and the engagement of key stakeholders and governmental counterparts in migration dialogue and consultation.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional DTM Officer, and in close coordination with the Regional Migration data officer and ROAP’s Senior Regional Emergency and Post Crisis Specialist, the incumbent will be in charge of supporting the Regional Data Hub(RDU)activities through reporting, research and analysis, editing, publication and dissemination of relevant quantitative and qualitative products.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Research, analyse, and report on migration and displacement data in the Asia-Pacific region. Carry out extensive analyses of the datasets collected.
- Contribute to the design and management of databases and information systems (including geographical databases and geographical information encoding).
- Conduct data verification, triangulation and validation through multiple sources, both primary and secondary (including media monitoring, local authorities, network of key informants).
- Lead ad hoc thematic research, design survey methodologies, and monitor field operations of data collection efforts. Contribute to regional reports; support with literature / desk review.
- Liaise with other UN agencies, academic institutions, think tanks, and collaborating partners with regards to mixed migration research efforts, tools and methodologies. Assist in the coordination of internal and external Regional Data Hub capacity-building initiatives.
- Assist in the coordination of internal and external Data Hub capacity-building initiatives.
- Work together with the RDH team in particular with the RDH-IM to research, analyse and evaluate new applications related to information systems, to new technologies and processes to manage information in response to migration crises and make recommendations for their utilization.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Social and Political Sciences, Business Administration, Data Science, Information Technology or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
- University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in mixed migration analyses, root causes and drivers is required;
- Experience in data collection, research, and report writing is required.
- Experience in statistical analysis (R, Python, STATA, SPSS, etc) and relational databases is an advantage; and
- Experience in the development and analysis of population databases is a distinct advantage.
- Ability to compile and holistically analyse diverse datasets is a distinct advantage;
- Excellent communication skills, efficiency and flexibility.
Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via e-mail to ROBangkokHR@iom.int.Please include the reference code: ROBKK-CFA2020-090followed by your full name in the subject line. Applications should include:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Duly completed IOM Personal History Form (can be downloaded from http://thailand.iom.int/);
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be called for assessment.
Please ensure that your application is complete with the above-mentioned documents. As incomplete applications generate an immense administrative burden for our organization. As a general rule, candidates who have not properly submitted their application with required documents will be excluded from consideration.
Deadline for application: 4 October 2020.
Access the full document here: CFA_20-090_PD_Data Analysis and Statistical Officer_CoN_ROAP_09.2020