Date(s) - 03/03/20
7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Categories No Categories
On 3 March 2020, Prof. Khalid Koser will give a lecture on the topic of “Resolving the Global Refugee Crisis”. The lecture will take place in the conference room of UNU-Meriit, Boschstraat 24, from 19.00 to 20.30.
About the Maastricht Migration Lecture Series
Five years after the so-called ‘refugee crisis’ reached the European continent, the topic is still widely debated. Media, politics and the public discuss intensive ways to deal with incoming migrants and to prevent migration in the future. However, many misconceptions exist around migration and joint solutions to the topic are lacking.
With this lecture series, the European Law Student Association, Refugee Project Maastricht, the Maastricht Young Academy (MYA), the Maastricht Center for Citizenship, Migration and Development (MACIMIDE) and UNU-Merit aim to provide an objective picture on the topic of migration and offer new insights. To do so, different aspects around migration are analyzed and different perspectives are given on how states might deal with the influx of refugees in the future. In a number of lectures, experts will talk about topics such as myths and misconceptions in the area of migration, climate change and migration, dealing with high displacement, gender and migration, citizenship, EU Asylum Law and more.
The Maastricht Migration Lecture Series will take place on the dates detailed below. The lectures will take place in the conference room of UNU-Merit, Boschstraat 24, always from 19.00-20.30.
1. February 12th, Prof. Hein de Haas, “Climate Refugees: The Fabrication of a Migration Threat ”
2. March 3rd, Prof. Khalid Koser, “Resolving the Global Refugee Crisis”
3. March 11th, Dr. Ortrun Merkle, “Gender perspectives around Migration”
4. April 15th, Prof. Mark Levels, topic TBA
5. May 13th, Prof. Hildegard Schneider and Emeritus Prof. René de Groot, topic TBA
6. June 9th, Prof. Maarten Vink, topic TBA