Consultancy for Education Research Associate (UNICEF Sport for Development) – Education Unit
The Office of Research-Innocenti (OoR-Innocenti) is the dedicated research office of UNICEF. It undertakes and commissions research on emerging or current issues of relevance for children in order to inform the strategic directions, policies and programmes of UNICEF and its partners. The Office explores emerging issues, identifies research gaps, brings together existing researchers, and supports or undertakes research and data collection to address critical questions and to inform global debates.
Objective of the Office
The Office aims to strengthen its capacity to deliver the production and use of high-quality research about child-focused S4D programmes. The consultant will coordinate and support the design and implementation of the S4D research portfolio. The consultant will work with S4D partners (Barça Foundation and others), colleagues in the Office of Research-Innocenti, Headquarters, Regional and Country offices to build on the existing research and to develop new ones. The role will also involve fostering the development of new partnerships and mobilizing resources for the generation of research and data on S4D and their utilization by decision and policy makers at country level.
Description of the function of the consultant
- Implementation and management of research on S4D (60%)
- Plan and coordinate research on the mapping, implementation modalities, effectiveness and efficiency of child-focused S4D programmes.
- Implement the phase 2 of the S4D research programme, including carrying out quantitative and qualitative data quality assurance and analysis
- Coordinate the implementation with other consultants and enumerators at country level
- Establish and maintain partnerships and participate in networks of researchers, policymakers andpractitioners in the area of S4D.
- Develop proposals and mobilize resources to support S4D research and its use; maintain andstrengthen donor networks through routine communications and reporting; support themonitoring of the portfolio of S4D research
- Serve in advisory groups for S4D research
- Prepare inputs and act as UNICEF resource person in relevant conferences, workshops andmeetings, including for dissemination of key research outcomes for effective use at country level
- Technical guidance and support to UNICEF Headquarters, Regional and Country Offices, Governments and Implementing partners (15%)
- Provide guidance and quality assurance on S4D research design to UNICEF field offices and Governments
- Strengthen the capacity of UNICEF field offices and Government counterparts for co-creationdesign of research and evaluation in the area of S4D
- Strengthen and support the use of S4D research and evaluation findings for policy dialogue andcapacity strengthening of Government and Implementing partners at country level.
- Contribution to the Office of Research-Innocenti education work programme and support to the cross-cutting research agenda (5%)
- Contribute to the overall research activities of the Office and to the use of their findings by policy and decision makers at country level.
- Support the development of proposals and contribute to fundraising for education research and evidence building.
- Advanced university degree in social policy, economics, education, statistics or related social sciences.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible professional work experience at national or international levels in research in the area of education or related field, with developing country level experience essential;
- Demonstrated experience in social sector policies/projects; Experience in programmes on S4D or sports an asset;
- Demonstrated experience in both quantitative and qualitative research projects, methods and analysis, including knowledge and experience in advanced statistical software packages; Demonstrated experience in resource mobilization;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work well as part of a team and to forge and manage partnerships;Commitment to UNICEF’s core values of care, respect, integrity, transparency and accountability; Ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment. Experience working in the UN or other international development organization an asset.
- Fluency in English required; Fluency in Spanish an asset; Fluency in Portuguese an asset;
The consultant will work full-time over a period of 11.5 months (total of 230 working days between mid- January and End of December 2020).
Application Deadline: 22 December 2019 23:55:00 GMT+0100 (CET)