CfP: Integrating Reflexivities into Survey Research
The IMISCOE Standing Committees Reflexivities in Migration Studies and Methodological Approaches and Tools in Migration Research (Meth@Mig) are inviting submissions for the (migration research focussed) online workshop Integrating Reflexivities into Survey Research
This event will be held online on January 30, 2023.
Submission deadline: December 10th, 2022
Jessica Hagen-Zanker, ODI
Laura Morales, Centre for European Studies and Comparative Politics, Sciences Po
Survey research, as any other type of research, is an art of itself. It requires pragmatism, expertise and consideration of a series of issues that arise at the various stages of survey design, implementation and data analysis. This workshop creates a space for reflexive discussion about survey research. It aims to identify and understand the challenges and opportunities of creating reflexive approaches to survey research in migration studies.
The workshop organisers invite contributions that reflect on the following issues:
- Survey design in migration research;
- Sampling strategies and related challenges;
- Working with and against official categories in survey research
- Questionnaire construction, response alternatives and measurement;
- Questionnaire translation issues;
- Cross-national survey research and embedding surveys in the specific contexts in
which they are carried out;
- Critical reflection on survey data collection infrastructure;
- Questioning and problematizing survey research conception, construction and
- Reflections on language used;
- Interviewer effect;
- Overcoming specific survey challenges via reflexivities;
- Other issues arising in survey research;
We invite contributions from scholars of all disciplines, representing various methodological approaches, and career stages. Submission should consist of an extended abstract of approx. 500 words and a short personal bio of the presenting author(s) (including name, affiliation, and contact information) to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org (putting “ Integrating Reflexivities into Survey Research workshop” in the submission email’s subject line) by the 10th of December 2022.
Please see the full text of the call for details.