4Mi Research Officer
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe:we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the North Africa region, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Algeria, Tunisia, Libya and Sudan with a Regional Office (RO) in Tunis.
Overall purpose of the role
The overall purpose of the role is to support the Mixed Migration Centre – North Africa with the publication of relevant research to inform policy and programmatic response by expanding the evidence base on mixed migration processes in the region. The post holder plays a key role in establishing the MMC as a leading voice in migration research in the region.
Under the supervision of the Regional 4Mi Project Manager in Tunis, the successful candidate will be responsible for conducting data analysis of emerging mixed migration trends; contributing to better use of 4Mi data; assisting in carrying out research projects and contributing to regular data bulletins; providing support on data trainings, among other responsibilities.
• Work closely with the ICT4D Officer to support the 4Mi team with migrating collected data into datasets in appropriate formats (such as .dta or .csv);
• Lead on coding and labelling variables to be used in quantitative analysis;
• Serve as a focal point for data management in the region by compiling data from relevant secondary sources;
• Provide feedback to update/amend questionnaires so that required cleaning activities are optimized and data is collected in a format that is more readily usable.
• Contribute to the North Africa research agenda by providing quantitative analyses of both 4Mi data and secondary sources using relevant software applications such as STATA and/or R;
• Under the supervision of the 4Mi Project Manager, taking the lead in drafting planned briefing papers and research papers;
• Support DRC and MMC teams in North Africa serving as a focal point for the statistical component of the 4Mi project;
• Support with the visualization of data, including through GIS applications.
Capacity Building & Training
• Provide support to country missions in projects involving migration statistics capacity- building activities, mainly through assistance in the organization and facilitation of migration data collection and analysis trainings;
• Provide training to DRC and MMC staff on research methods and related software applications (such as STATA and R);
• Provide training to DRC and MMC staff on GIS applications and data visualization.
Experience and technical competencies:
• At least three-year experience working in a research or academic context;
• Demonstrated experience in data management and quantitative analysis techniques including the use of relevant software applications (such as STATA and R);
• Demonstrated experience in producing relevant research products, preferably on migration and/or humanitarian issues;
• Demonstrated understanding of current mixed migration debates and dynamics in the region is an asset;
• Previous experience working with international NGOs is an asset.
• PhD or Master’s degree in development economics, social statistics or other relevant subject.
• Full professional proficiency in English and French; Arabic is an asset
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’s five core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: you focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
• Collaborating: you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
• Taking the lead: you take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: you act in line with our vision and values
Unit/Department: North Africa Regional Office
Location: Tunis, Tunisia (family duty station, non accompanied position)
Length of contract: 6 months
Employment Category: H
Reporting to: Mixed Migration Center Manager
Technical Line: Mixed Migration Manager
Start date: asap
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 4 July 2019.
Contact person: email@example.com
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries.
We pride ourselves on our:
• Professionalism, impact & expertise
• Humanitarian approach & the work we do
• Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
• Culture, values & strong leadership
• Fair compensation & continuous development
Read more here about what our employees say about working in DRC.
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process. Visit drc.ngo to read more about what we do to secure robust safeguarding mechanisms.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit: drc.ngo/jobsupport.