2 Postdoctoral positions in ERC funded project on Migration and Democratic Diffusion.
We invite applications for 2 postdoctoral positions in the context of the ERC Consolidator project Migration and Democratic Diffusion: the Impact of Migration on Democratic Practices and Processes in Countries of Origin (MIGRADEMO), led by Eva Østergaard-Nielsen in the Department of Political Science at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona.
Application deadline: 24/6 2019, Start date: By 15 September 2019
Project/research context: The postdoctoral researchers will be part of a team researching the impact of migration on democratic participation and processes in countries of origin. The research strategy of the MIGRADEMO project combines analysis of processes of democratic diffusion across three countries of origin and at three levels of democratic participation and processes: individual citizens, civil society and among political leaders and representatives. The tentative case studies are Turkey, Morocco and Hungary/Romania. The project will analyse already existing aggregate data on remittances and political behaviour and, importantly, generate new comprehensive datasets based on both surveys and in-depth qualitative research among non-migrants and returnees in countries of origin, civil society leaders and the political elite. The project will contribute to our understanding of the conditions under which migration can influence democratic processes as well as the broader research fields of democracy, migration and citizenship.
The project will be carried out until 2023 by an interdisciplinary team of the PI, 3 postdocs and 2 PhD students. Candidates interested in applying for externally funded postdoctoral positions related to any aspect of the MIGRADEMO project research agenda, such as the Marie S.-Curie, Ramon y Cajal or other calls, are welcome to contact the PI as soon as possible.
The selected postdocs will, in close collaboration with the PI and the rest of the team, be an important part of both the implementation and dissemination of the project. The main tasks will be to:
• Contribute to the development of the methodological and theoretical research tasks, data collection and analysis, in particular the project objectives based on qualitative research methods. This includes fieldwork in migrant countries of origin.
• Present and publish top-level joint publications within the project research objectives.
• Participate in the scientific training of/support to PhD candidates.
• Help organize and participate in seminars and conferences organized around the ERC project.
• Contribute to drafting MIGRADEMO research reports and briefings, policy briefs and other types of dissemination activities.
• Assist in research related administrative tasks.
Profile of candidates,
• A PhD in Political Science or other related and relevant field.
• Excellent analytical and methodological skills, advanced training in social science methodologies including qualitative research methodologies.
• Experience with qualitative research methods and fieldwork.
• An excellent publication record relative to career stage
• Excellent spoken and written English and language skills relevant to at least one of the countries of study.
• Availability to travel for fieldwork.
• Ability and commitment to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary and international team.
Further valuable qualifications include experience with and publications related to studies of migration and democratization; experience with mixed methods research, fluency in French and excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
What we offer: We offer two full-time research positions for up to 3 years. The candidate will have access to new data and work in the stimulating research environment of a new international and interdisciplinary research group. The positions, benefits and payments are regulated by a postdoctoral labour contract for research staff at the UAB. Salary range: 31.573,64 € euros (annual gross). Funding for project related dissemination in conferences is available. The candidates are expected to be in residence in Barcelona throughout the duration of the contract.
How to apply: Interested candidates should submit their applications to email@example.com and Merce.firstname.lastname@example.org by 24/6 2019 with the message subject MIGRADEMO Postdoc. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. The following documents, integrated in one PDF file, must be included:
• A motivation letter detailing how your research profile and interest relate to the project.
• A detailed CV including information on relevant methodological training, research experience and average graduate degree results.
• Names of two referees who will send their references directly to the PI by the application deadline.
• Two writing samples in English demonstrating the methodological and analytical skills of the applicants.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a personal interview, either in person at the UAB or via Skype within 2 weeks of the application deadline. We expect to finish the selection process by 12/7 2019.
Research environment: The MIGRADEMO project and team is based in the Department of Political Science at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB). The ERC project team members will be interacting with the rest of the faculty at the Department of Political Science and the interdisciplinary Institute of Government and Public Policy which include faculty and research groups at the forefront of studies of democracy, public policy and migration. The UAB is one of the leading universities in Spain according to international rankings and hosts a large number of ERC projects and other EU funded collaborations including in the faculties of Political Science and Sociology and the Humanities. The campus is easily accessible through a short train ride from the center of Barcelona, one of the most welcoming cities for international researchers and students.
For more information, please contact the PI of MIGRADEMO, Eva Østergaard-Nielsen, email: email@example.com