18/11: MPC Webinar: ‘Climate mobilities: Migration, im/Mobilities, and climate change’,18 Nov. @15.00 CET, link provided following registration
‘Climate mobilities: Migration, im/Mobilities, and climate change’
18 November @15:00 – 16.15 CET
The link to the Webinar will be provided following registration.
The relation between climate change and human migration is often understood in relatively narrow terms. The predominant assumption is that climate change is directly causing millions of people to move from the Global South to the Global North. This webinar seeks to critique, open-up and pluralize this understanding. We put forward a ‘climate mobilities’ perspective to highlight the diversity of mobility responses in the context of climate change; to examine how these connect with other mobilities (of people, ideas, or matter); and to make sense of their political nature, including the role for mobility justice.Speakers:
- Ingrid Boas, EUI Fellow at the Migration Policy Centre, Italy; Associate Professor at the Environmental Policy Group, Wageningen University, The Netherlands
- Carol Farbotko, Research Scientist, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, Australia
- Ethemcan Turhan, Assistant Professor, Department of Spatial Planning and Environment, Faculty of Spatial Sciences, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
- Mimi Sheller, Professor of Sociology and Interim Head of the Department of Sociology, Director of the Center for Mobilities Research and Policy, Drexel University, USA
- Andrew Geddes, Chair in Migration Studies, Director of the Migration Policy Centre, EUI.
Please note, a link to the webinar will only be provided to registered users